Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Expression Representation

I attended a "meeting" this summer and got this activity.  I am going to use it over two, maybe three days.  I am going to have the students work it in shifts.  So many times students have difficulty thinking about all the ways to represent expressions and this is one great activity to help.

I made copies for each cluster of my desks.  I have 10 groups of 3 in all my classes.  I am going to give them card set A and B on the first day.  They will have to cut out all the pieces.  I am also going to give them a large sheet of paper.  I am going to have them glue them on.  To make it easier on you, make sure they glue card set A in numerical order.  Have them match set A to B.  There are blank cards on purpose.  Students need to fill in the blanks.  Once that is done, I will collect the posters.  I am checking work by walking around to make sure we do not have any uh-ohs.

The next day, I will then have them match set C to their other work.  And finally, have them match set D to previous work.  Of course this could all be done in one day but I think the idea of breaking it up among different blocks will work.

The students have now see all different ways of representing the same expression.  Yes, some of the cards work in multiple spots so it is interesting to see what happens.  Enjoy!

Expressions Representations

No comments:

Post a Comment